Wednesday 25 May 2011

Our Funky New Toy!!

This next post was supposed to be my biography, but compared to the other characters... Scotty the S.N.A.C., Brian a.k.a. Captain Furious and Remi the Relentless, I'm probably the most 'ordinary' of the team, and writing about 'ordinary' is pretty slow going!

So in the meantime, just a quick update on what we've been doing.

Even though this blog makes us out to be total plonkers, the team is actually training quite hard and all of us are 'not bad' climbers at the least. Apart from the 'Epic Aid Adventure', we have been heading out regularly to the crags around Perth and Margaret River.

There was a bit of excitement in the quarry last night, as training took on a whole new perspective due to our new WizzBang headcam!

With boyish vigour that could only be rivalled by an Apple 'fanboy' on release day of the latest Iphone, we gave the headcam a test run on 'Chain Reaction', graded (a very soft) 23 at Statham's Quarry. I must thank Phil for the use of this fantastic device. I feel I'm one step closer now to becoming Bear Grylls, except I don't torture little animals (and my camera crew don't help me when I'm in trouble!!). I won't mention Phil's last name on the blog as he may still be wanted for questioning  by authorities in country Victoria over something called the 'Urban Assault Vehicle'...

Anyway, I've linked some raw footage of climbing 'Chain Reaction' with the headcam. I didn't have time to edit it and make it look all 'Hollywood', but the way it is, I think it gives you a 'First Person Shooter' feel for what it's like to climb, (without the 5.1 DOLBY sound)... the whole audio is pretty muffled because the camera is in a protective case, I'll see what I can do about this in future takes. The video runs for about 5 minutes and it is pretty rough, so if you suffer from motion sickness, maybe you should have a bucket nearby... keyboards and 'throw up' don't go very well together.


Next time I'll try not to move my head so much and angle the camera down a little more so you can get an appreciation of vertical height... and maybe I'll dub in some cool techno beats!! Yeah Yeah!!

Until then people, keep the fun times happening!!

5 comments:

  1. ah the dangers of headcam recording while climbing - forgetting to clip!! Nice vid Kenny, would look great if you got your clipping, hand and foot placements on camera too - bet its hard to do while climbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I need to play around more with the camera and the angle it sits on the head. We went out to the quarry again today and took more footage. Hopefully we captured more climbing and less arm reaching/flailing, hahaha. Will check it out over the next couple of days.

    And thanks to Harvey Norman 20% off and 20 months interest free today, I went out and bought more tech!! Keep watching over the next few weeks, we got some good stuff coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one Kenny; looking forward to seeing more footage! A fish eye lense would make for great vision I think - capture a whole lot more action! Looking forward to seeing you guys in September!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one! and your blog is coming along really well. You should do a post on all the equipment you'll lugging all the way up, and what methods you will be using to keep warm, i know you'll be eyeing off scotty but a good merino woollen jumper will also do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom all I know is that Kenny is a shoe-in for the little spoon.

    ReplyDelete